Wednesday 22 February 2012

The Royal Oak, Edinburgh - Part 2 (16.2.2012)


The Royal Oak is on Infirmary Street and has been home to traditional folk music since the 1960’s.  It is housed within a complex of buildings that date back hundreds of years to when the people of Edinburgh feared leaving the enclaves of the city for being attacked by the English.  Its said that the situation led to the building of the first high rise flats, as space was at a premium within the walls of Edinburgh.  Read more about it by enlarging the next photo.

As per my last visit the musicians were assembled in a corner to the right of the entrance.  This time they included a mandolin player, a violinist and a guitarist who were running through a cover of Walking After Midnight by Patsy Cline.  There was a small crowd of Japanese and European tourists assembled near the bar and they looked as if they were getting quietly hammered on the many whiskies and real ales that were on offer.  There were also some locals out enjoying the music, and a woman listening in as she created golden chains of jewellery for sale.  The atmosphere was a friendly one and perfect for the non-amplified folk music, for which the place has clearly become worldwide famous.


I supped on a quiet pint listening to my favourite singer of the entire night, a guy that I later discovered is called Bobby Nicholson (see viddy below) and also plays in Rantum Scantum (recommended to me by Misk Hills Mountain Rambler).  Bobby had the perfect amount of dry humour in his music which I think I’m right in saying was a mix of traditional and home spun songs.  His vocal style employed an effective rush of words that fit between neat sequences of guitar playing. 



I didn’t get to play in Edinburgh this time round, mostly because there wasn’t a night suitable for my own style of music making, but I still had a good evening soaking up some sounds I wouldn’t normally listen to and enjoying the layers upon layers of musical history and currency that Edinburgh has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment